What you need to know if you're thinking of having your ceremony abroad.

How do I get married abroad?

If you wish to enter into a marriage or civil partnership abroad you must follow the regulations of the country you want to get married in. You will also need to stay in the country for a specific length of time before the ceremony.

Contact the country's embassy for more information.

What documents will I need?

You may be asked for a certificate of no impediment. You can get this by giving notice to your local registration office and you will be required to wait 28 days before the Certificate of Non Impediment can be issued.

The validity period of the Certificate of Non Impediment is determined by the countries Embassy and may vary.

Most countries will also need to see specific documents, please contact the country's embassy for more information.

Can I register my marriage or civil partnership in England?

There are no requirement to register a marriage which has occurred abroad in England or Wales.  However exceptions may apply, for further information please contact the contact the General Register Office.