SAME SEX MARRIAGE
Same sex couples have the option of a marriage ceremony or a civil partnership ceremony.
Booking a same sex marriage ceremony
Same sex couples have the option of a marriage ceremony or a civil partnership ceremony. A ceremony is booked in the same way for any couple, regardless of gender.
Civil partnership conversion ceremonies
Couples who are in a civil partnership may convert to a marriage. Once the civil partnership is converted into a marriage the civil partnership ends. The couple are then treated as having been married since the date the civil partnership was formed.
There are two conversion options:
Convert to a marriage without a ceremony
You can convert to a marriage without a ceremony in a single stage process:
- You must both attend an appointment, in person, at a registration office, Monday to Friday. Even if you didn’t have your civil partnership in Staffordshire, you can still come to Staffordshire for your conversion.
- You'll need proof of identity and address, and of your civil partnership certificate.
- The conversion happens when a couple signs a declaration that they've not dissolved their civil partnership and both want to convert it to marriage.
- The declaration must be signed at a registration office.
- The conversion will be registered and a marriage certificate issued.
To book an appointment please contact us.
Convert to a marriage with a ceremony
You can convert to a marriage with a ceremony in a two stage process:
Provide information at an appointment at your local registration office, this involves supplying your civil partnership certificate and evidence of name, date of birth and address.
You and your registrar sign the declaration at a registration office, approved venue or religious building registered for the marriage of same sex couples.
The ceremony (stage two) does not have to be on the same day as the appointment (stage one).
How much does it cost?
The fee is £45.
Please note: This fee is for the conversion only, a ceremony will involve further costs. Find out more about marriage ceremony costs.